H.E. Eng. Atef HelmyFormer Minister of Telecommunications, Egypt
With more than 40 years of solid experience in business and in communications & information technology, Eng. Helmy lead numerous executive management positions in two Fortune 100 companies, namely NCR/AT&T and Oracle in the United States, Europe, Middle East, and Africa, reaching the positions of Managing Director of NCR UAE, Managing Director of Oracle Egypt, and Chairman of Orange Egypt. He has also contributed to the development of the digital society in Egypt and MEA as chairman of the Chamber of Communications & Information Technology, member of the American Chamber of commerce, founding member of the Arab Digital Economy Federation, and through numerous positions on the Board of Directors and Board of Trustees of many organizations, institutions, universities, and NGOs.
In January 2013, Eng. Atef Helmy assumedresponsibility as Egypt's Minister of Communications & Information Technology. In recognition of his efforts, professionalism and leadership, Eng. Helmy has chaired the World Summit for Information Societies (WSIS +10) high-level event in Geneva in June 2014 and was awarded the Golden Medallion from the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) for his active role.
For ten years, Eng. Helmy honorably served in the Egyptian Military Force in the field of communications and information technology. Helmy holds a B.Sc. in Communication and Electrical Engineering (with Honors) from the Military Technical College in 1973, a Diploma in Computer Science from Ain Shams University in 1979, and a master's degree in IT from Ain Shams University in 1982.
- Chairman, Prime Business Consulting
- Senior Advisor, Orange MEA
- Ambassador of Orange to Smart Africa
- Board Member, SAMENA Council
- Founding Member & President of the General Assembly, Arab Digital Economy Federation
- Founding Member, Egypt Fintech Association
- Honorary Member, American Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Board of Trustees, British University in Egypt
- Member, Board of Trustees, Beit El Zakat (Egypt House of Alms & Charity)
- Board Member, Al Mohandes Insurance
- Board Member, Al Hayat Insurance